European Paintings, Drawings & Sculpture from 1870 onwards, American Paintings from 1870 onwards and Sculpture & Works of Art from 1870 onwards
John Berggruen first opened his pioneering gallery in the spring of 1970 on Grant Avenue in downtown San Francisco. Berggruen Gallery opened in its new 10,000-square-foot space at 10 Hawthorne Street, an historic three-story brick building across from the recently expanded San Francisco Museum of Modern Art, on January 13, 2017. The gallery specializes in contemporary art and 20th-century American and European paintings, drawings, sculpture, and limited edition prints.
A cornerstone of the West Coast art world, Berggruen Gallery has a consistent history of engaging San Francisco audiences with new art, and has long been an advocate for the region’s leading artists. Housed in a newly renovated historic three story building just opened this year, the new gallery features expanded exhibition space, including two floors of galleries and a floor dedicated to project and event space. Since opening in 1970, Berggruen Gallery has mounted groundbreaking exhibitions of paintings, sculpture, and prints by American and European masters, modernists, and contemporary artists. The first gallery of national stature in San Francisco, Berggruen Gallery was a pioneer for the bourgeoning San Francisco art scene, and played a fundamental role in cultivating a group of dedicated collectors in the Bay Area. Berggruen curated first or early shows to many artists who are now well-established in their careers – including Edward Ruscha, Tom Sachs, and Mark Tansey.