TEFAF GENERAL TERMS & CONDITIONS FOR VISITORS
ARTICLE 1 - DEFINITIONS
In these Conditions for Visitors, the following are defined as set forth below:
- Article: an article of the Conditions for Visitors.
- Conditions for Visitors: these TEFAF General Terms & Conditions for Visitors.
- Executive Committee: the executive committee of TEFAF.
- Fair: a fair organized by TEFAF in the respective Hall. References to “the Fair” are deemed to be references to any applicable Fair.
- Hall: the premises where the Fair takes place, being MECC Maastricht, The Netherlands, or any other such place where the Fair may take place from time to time.
- Management: the CEO of TEFAF and his/her staff.
- Participant: an art gallery or other entity renting a stand from TEFAF at the Fair.
- TEFAF: The European Fine Art Foundation, with registered seat in Maastricht, The Netherlands.
- TEFAF Information Media: any media by which TEFAF publicly distributes information in respect of the Fair, including the online- catalogue, a smartphone app, the TEFAF website, printed material and social media regarding the Fair.
- Vetting Committee: the committee that decides on the admission of works of art to the Fair. The Vetting Committee is composed of international art specialists, who are selected on the basis of their integrity, independence and art expertise.
- Visitor: a natural person or legal entity visiting the Fair in the Hall, unless such person or entity is present at the Fair as a Participant or contractor of TEFAF and only while acting in that capacity.
ARTICLE 2 – ROLE OF TEFAF
- In organizing a Fair, TEFAF’s purpose is to serve as a platform and facilitator, and to create good conditions for Visitors and Participants at the Fair for viewing, exhibiting, buying and selling works of art.
- TEFAF does not have any ownership interest in works of art exhibited at the Fair, and has no interest as either a seller or purchaser of works of art exhibited at the Fair. Moreover, TEFAF is not involved in any way in the process of buying and selling works of art during the Fair. Similarly, TEFAF does not provide transport services and is not responsible for transport of the works of art to and from the Fair.
- In aiming to achieve the objectives as described in paragraph 1 of this Article, TEFAF facilitates the selection of the Participants permitted to exhibit art at the Fair, and makes all reasonable efforts to contribute to the selection of the works of art permitted to be exhibited at the Fair – through the Vetting Committee. However, responsibility for the whole process of selection, exhibiting, buying and selling works of art remains with the Participant selling and the Visitor buying a work of art. Visitors are urged to exercise care and to make appropriate enquiries to perform appropriate diligence and consult their own professional advisors. TEFAF shall not be liable in any way for any act or omission attributable to a Participant and/or on account of the works of art exhibited at the Fair.
ARTICLE 3 – ACCEPTANCE OF THE REGULATIONS
The Conditions for Visitors apply to all legal relationships between TEFAF and the Visitor to the Fair, and to all actions related to the legal relationship. By purchasing a ticket, or accepting an invitation, and then visiting the Fair, the Visitor accepts the Conditions for Visitors.
ARTICLE 4 – SALE OF TICKETS
- TEFAF is not liable for any mistakes made by third parties in offers, communications or other information regarding the contents, duration, and organization of the Fair, or for mistakes of third parties in providing information about ticket prices, presale of tickets and/or other incorrect or unclear information pertaining to any of the subject matter of this paragraph 1.
- Tickets to the Fair are non-refundable.
- TEFAF does not allow for the sale or resale of entrance tickets other than by TEFAF directly or by a TEFAF designated seller or distributor of entrance tickets.
- Visitors may be denied access to the Fair if entrance tickets were obtained through other channels than through the ones as provided in paragraph 3 of this Article..
- Tickets to the Fair are personal if the name of the Visitor is printed on the entrance ticket. Visitors may be asked to show valid proof of identity.
ARTICLE 5 - CANCELLATION, TERMINATION, POSTPONEMENT OR ADAPTATION OF THE FAIR
- TEFAF may cancel the Fair, postpone it or adapt its operation (including but not limited to reducing the duration of the Fair or changing its venue), if TEFAF determines such action to be necessary.
- Such actions could result, for example, from force majeure (including but not limited to war, political unrest, strike, flood, fire, robbery, breakdown of transportation facilities or unavailability of the Hall or a major part thereof), an order by governmental authorities or any other event not attributable to TEFAF that prevents or hinders TEFAF in organizing or operating the Fair in the normal course.
- If the Fair is cancelled, postponed or adapted, TEFAF shall be released from its duty to perform the affected obligations and Visitors shall have no claim against TEFAF for performance or withdrawal from contract or compensation for any loss or damage.
ARTICLE 6 – DURING THE VISIT TO THE FAIR
- By attending the Fair, Visitors accept and subject themselves to TEFAF’s rules and safety regulations. Visitors should comply with instructions given by security and other officials of TEFAF or parties engaged by TEFAF.
- Visitors acting in a manner contrary to Dutch law and regulations, TEFAF’s rules and regulations as referred to in paragraph 1 of this Article, any other section of these Conditions for Visitors, and/or Visitors whose behavior at the Fair or otherwise gives rise to good faith complaints from other Visitors, Participants, the Executive Committee or the Management, may be removed immediately from the Fair by TEFAF, and may be denied further and/or future access to any Fair, without being entitled to restitution of the entrance fee or other costs, and may be held liable by TEFAF for any loss or damage incurred. TEFAF is entitled to remove a Visitor from the Fair and/or deny further access to any Fair, if a Visitor, while visiting the Fair or otherwise, violates one or more applicable statutory provisions, or if TEFAF has a good faith reason to anticipate such violation, it being TEFAF’s right to in all events protect the reputation of the Fair, TEFAF or any of the Participants. TEFAF may issue a press statement, or otherwise express itself in publicity, at any time as TEFAF sees fit, in order to maintain the orderly conduct of the Fair. TEFAF is not liable for any loss or damage sustained by Visitors as a result of actions taken by TEFAF consistent with the foregoing.
- Among other things Visitors are not permitted to:
- offer goods for sale or distribute goods free of charge to third parties at the Fair;
- bring pets or other animals into the Fair, with the exception of service animals for Visitors with disabilities, but only with permission from TEFAF;
- bring food and/or beverages into the Fair;
- bring large bags (larger than 30 x 40 centimeters), backpacks and umbrellas into the Fair;
- bring jewelry in bags or cases into the Fair without reporting the jewelry before entering the Fair;
- bring art or antiques into the Fair, for example for valuation, selling or offering for sale;
- organize or attend unofficial guided tours;
- bring objects or substances into the Fair that are, in the opinion of a TEFAF official, hazardous or may cause a nuisance to Visitors and other persons; or
- smoke in the Fair outside the designated smoking areas.
- Visitors are not permitted to use recording equipment at the Fair, unless express permission is given by the Management, and the Participants or Visitors concerned. The Management may decide that the use of recording equipment is only permitted by TEFAF if certain conditions are met, for example that the Visitor is escorted by a TEFAF employee or representative. No flashes, extendable camera devices or video recordings are permitted. TEFAF officials are authorized to demand that Visitors place any recording equipment in storage during their visit to the Fair if recording equipment is used contrary to these regulations. No photographs may be taken of art works in the Fair, except with the explicit prior permission of the relevant Participant. Visitors refusing to cooperate may be denied further and/or future access to the Fair without being entitled to restitution of the entrance fee or any other costs. TEFAF is not liable for loss or damage relating to any stored recording equipment.
- TEFAF reserves the right to make or commission video, photographic and/or sound recordings of the Fair. By accepting these Conditions for Visitors, a Visitor gives TEFAF permission to use any image of the Visitor for the purposes of the Fair’s promotional activities. Any exception to the foregoing must be approved in writing by TEFAF.
ARTICLE 7 – SAFETY AND SECURITY REGULATIONS
TEFAF Management may demand that Visitors show valid proof of identity and/or that bags and cases carried by Visitors be searched. Visitors may be asked to submit to a body search by specially trained staff. Visitors refusing to cooperate may be denied further access to the Fair without being entitled to a refund of the price of admission tickets or other costs.
ARTICLE 8 – TEFAF INFORMATION MEDIA
- Any information in TEFAF Information Media - in particular, but not limited to, information regarding the description, quality, authenticity, attribution, provenance, title, condition, authorship, origin, date, age and condition of a work of art - is given on behalf of, and is the sole responsibility of, the applicable Participant. Accordingly, TEFAF cannot guarantee the correctness of such information provided in the TEFAF Information Media. TEFAF recommends that Visitors seek independent advice regarding the subject matter referred to above in this paragraph 1 from their own professional art advisors before making a purchase from a Participant.
- Additionally, TEFAF shall have no liability for incorrect, incomplete or missing entries or entries in TEFAF Information Media infringing third party rights.
ARTICLE 9 – COMPLAINTS AND CLAIMS
- A claim by a Visitor will only be considered by TEFAF if received in writing by the Management in any event within four (4) weeks after occurrence of the event on which the claim is based. Complaints or claims received by the Management after this period will not be accepted by TEFAF.
- Complaints and circumstances relating to acts or omissions of third parties or beyond the control of TEFAF shall not result in claims or in any obligation of TEFAF to pay compensation. Complaints regarding third parties should be addressed directly to the third party or parties concerned. TEFAF will supply the relevant name and address information of a Participant to a Visitor upon request.
ARTICLE 10 – LIABILITY OF TEFAF
- Consistent with Article 2 above, and in addition to the limitation of liability as set out in Articles 2.3, 4.1, 4.4, 6.2, 6.4 and 8.2, TEFAF, its employees and representatives, including, without limitation, the members of the Vetting Committee shall not be liable in any way for claims, actions, proceedings, losses, liabilities, damages, expenses and costs in relation to the description, quality, authenticity, attribution, provenance, title, condition and/or entitlement of any work of art that was brought to the Hall and/or proposed at the Fair and/or exhibited by a Participant at the Fair and/or vetted by the Vetting Committee. This responsibility and liability remains solely with the Participant and with the Visitor buying a work of art. As noted above, TEFAF recommends that Visitors seek independent advice about these matters from their own professional advisors before making an art purchase.
- Visitors attend the Fair at their own risk. TEFAF is not liable for physical or other loss or damage caused by force majeure or third parties, whether or not these third parties are contracted by TEFAF, including but not limited to stand builders, caterers, editors/authors of TEFAF Information Media , security personnel, Participants, other Visitors and the Vetting Committee or its members.
- Under no circumstances will TEFAF or any of its employees or agents be liable for consequential damages for any reason whatsoever.
- In any event liability by TEFAF or any of its employees or agents is limited to the damages for which TEFAF is insured and up to the insured amount.
ARTICLE 11 – APPLICABLE LAW AND JURISDICTION
- The relationship between the Visitor and TEFAF and all disputes arising therefrom are governed exclusively by the laws of The Netherlands. Parties will try to solve any dispute that may arise between TEFAF and a Visitor in connection with the present legal relationship, or further relationships or contracts resulting therefrom, through mediation in accordance with the rules of the Dutch Mediation Federation (Mediation Federatie Nederland) based in Rotterdam. Until mediation has ended, neither party shall submit the dispute to a court, with the exception of claims or requests with regard to precautionary measures of protection of rights.
- If it is established that a dispute cannot be resolved through mediation, the dispute shall be settled exclusively by the competent court in Amsterdam in the Netherlands.
ARTICLE 12 – MISCELLANEOUS
- All determinations not expressly provided for in these Conditions for Visitors are to be decided by TEFAF, alone, subject to applicable law.
- Invalidity of one or more of the provisions as set out in these Conditions for Visitors will not have the effect of rendering any other provision hereof invalid. An invalid or unenforceable provision will - to the extent permitted by law - be converted into a valid, enforceable provision that most closely matches the intent of the original provision of TEFAF and which would have been stipulated by TEFAF if the original provision had been abandoned by TEFAF because of its inapplicability, invalidity or nullity. To the extent necessary, the Visitor agrees to this conversion.
- The headings in these Conditions for Visitors have been included for easy reference only and are not intended for interpretation purposes of any clause of these Conditions for Visitors.