Our gallery specializes in Ancient Near Eastern art and in the Arts of the Islamic and Indian world.
Its history roots in the 19th century, in a family of Armenian art dealers from Eastern Anatolia. It started in Paris at the dawn of the 20th century, first in the Hôtel Drouot district and, since 1923 at its current Parisian address on the left bank of the Seine river. It has been run from its foundation to the present day by Carnig, Annie and Corinne Kevorkian, three generations of experts and dealers, whose commitment in the promotion of these arts has helped extend the circle of amateurs, shape their taste and connoisseurship and supplement or build some of the finest private and institutional collections worldwide in these fields. Long-established and internationally renowned museums, from America to Japan have enriched their collections and newer institutions such as the Louvre Abu Dhabi and the Museo d’Arte Orientale in Turin have started theirs with acquisitions made from our gallery throughout its history. The participation of Galerie Kevorkian in TEFAF Maastricht since 2013 and in other international fairs also inaugurated the unprecedented introduction of Ancient Near Eastern and Islamic art as main exhibition themes and specialities in those major art venues.
Our focus in Ancient Near Eastern Art is primarily on the stylized representations of the natural world and human figure developed by some Western and Central Asiatic cultures and civilisations, from the Bronze to the Iron Age. In Islamic and Indian art, it is mainly centred on early medieval ceramic wares, on Persian and Indian miniature painting and on Iznik pottery.
Our gallery is member of French and international dealers and professional associations: the Syndicat National des Antiquaires (SNA), the Compagnie Nationale des Experts (CNE) and the International Association of Dealers in Ancient Art (IADAA).